Cyber-bullying is the worst kind of bullying

August 4, 2015

Bullying has always been around, and it has always been a horrible thing. I’ve always tried to avoid bullies and I’ve tried to protect those that are being bullied, but to be honest, these days that’s nearly impossible. Cyber-bullying is huge and it’s NOT OK. I’ve never understood why people would think it’s OK to call others fat, ugly, stupid etc. What do they get out of it? Surely making others unhappy doesn’t make them any happier?

The worst part is that some people bully without even realising it. Telling someone ‘sorry, but your song sucks’ is to me a form of bullying. Saying ‘you shouldn’t wear that top because it doesn’t look good on you’ is also bullying if you ask me. Some think that it’s just being honest, but what is the purpose of saying it if you don’t have anything good to say with it? If you don’t have something positive to say, sometimes it’s better not to say anything at all.

Cyberbullying

I was completely shocked a while back when I came across a couple of tweets from a Vine star, and the replies to them. It made me super sad to see and absolutely horrified that people say these kind of things.

I’ll explain a bit of the history behind it. The vine star was accused of trying to force his girlfriend to give him oral after a video was released where she said she didn’t want to do it and he said ‘Do it’ a couple of times. Yes, pretty horrible in itself if it’s true that he was pressuring her. However, it does not make what happened after OK. This is what he tweeted:

Carter

You’d think that if you see something like that, you’d be worried he would actually commit suicide, and you should try to talk him out of it, or support him in some way, even if what he was accused of doing was true. No one deserves to feel so bad they want to kill themselves. No one!

But instead of support, all I saw was this:

Carter2

I mean, that is just not OK on any level. It doesn’t matter how much you think he’s just trying to get attention, no one deserve to get told they should just go ahead and kill themselves. You may not think that your comment is going to have much impact, but you could just as well be the person that pushes them over the edge. Again, if you’ve got nothing positive to say, just don’t say it at all!

It’s not a secret that there are people who kill themselves every day, and I’m sure 90% of those cases could have been prevented if they had proper support and love around them. I’ll leave you with this video of teenagers reacting to Amanda Todd. It’s a really powerful video, and hopefully it’ll make you think about how we can all help prevent cyber-bullying.

Let me know if you’ve had experience with bullying and what you think we can do to prevent it.

• oceanoffear

I have so many different experiences with bullying. I remember one time I was in the bath and my phone was continually buzzing with hate messages. That was when I had my first panic attack, the walls felt like they were closing in, and the home I had always felt safe in wasn’t any more

August 4, 2015 at 6:33 pm Reply

I’m so sorry to hear that! That is horrible. When I was a teenager, cyber bullying wasn’t really a thing. Cellphones were still quite a new thing, and Facebook didn’t exist, so people could only text you if you gave them your number. I was luckily never bullied myself, but got teased quite a lot for different things, so I would just avoid those people. But avoiding people these days is nearly impossible!

August 4, 2015 at 7:44 pm Reply
      • oceanoffear

Exactly, we studied it in one of the classes I took and you summed it up. It’s impossible to avoid and can follow you everywhere meaning you never feel safe

August 4, 2015 at 7:51 pm Reply

Yeah, something needs to be done about it for sure. It needs to be talked about a lot more.

August 4, 2015 at 8:16 pm Reply
  • Tracey Rains

As a high school teacher, I run across bullying all the time. It is so difficult to get the kids to realize that any time criticism is not intended constructively, there is no reason to share it. I try to make them see that even though their comment might seem benign to them, it might be the 100th tiny comment that day for someone.

If we would all just think, “What is the point of saying, texting, writing, posting… this” before we did it, we’d be better off. Cyber bullying is particularly insidious because those who dish it out don’t have to witness the effects of their words. Because of my interaction with so many teens, I know that many, many of them would not say face-to-face what they put online, not just out of cowardice, but also because this way they can fool themselves into believing that they are not responsible for their “victim’s” misery, or pretend that their victim is not miserable at all. (That is its own type of cowardice, of course.)

August 11, 2015 at 6:44 am Reply

I totally agree. It’s a really difficult thing to try to prevent. Almost so difficult that I think we soon have to focus on building up victims confidence so they don’t take the comments to heart, rather than trying to prevent the bullying itself because it’s such a big beast to tame. Every little bit helps though!

August 11, 2015 at 7:23 am Reply
      • Tracey Rains

You are right: It’s a two pronged problem! As we build up the victims, we also take power from the bullies.

August 13, 2015 at 8:15 am Reply
  • amandaleex3

I wonder why these kids/people are so hateful? Is it something our culture/society is teaching them because I don’t see how it’s natural to be that horrible to someone. Bullying has always been there and social media is just another tool but a very powerful and frightening one I can’t imagine how it must feel to be cyber bullied. The amount of keyboard warriors online is also scary-the amount of people who’ll spread hate spout out vile insults and pass judgment on others. Would they say these things to your face? I think they’re cowards who feel big putting others down and that makes them sad.

August 23, 2015 at 12:21 pm Reply

Yeah it’s a terrible thing. And the worst part about cyber bullying is that it’s so much harder to get away from. I’d love to know what goes through a bully’s mind to try to understand why they feel it’s OK to make others feel bad.

August 23, 2015 at 1:35 pm Reply