Why I don’t read books

August 7, 2015

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. Whenever I try to find new blogs to follow, my attention always seems to go to those that are nice to look at, and those that include a lot of images in their posts.

I think this partly is because I’m not very good at reading long sections of text without losing concentration. It’s not that I’m bad at reading or anything, I just lose focus and start thinking about something else. It’s funny how the brain works sometimes. It doesn’t matter how interesting I find what I’m reading, at some point my mind will drift off.

Photo from playbuzz.com

Photo from playbuzz.com

Because of this, I never really read books. I always want to read books, but I just can’t. I’ll get super excited sometimes and buy a book. Then I say to myself ‘You can do this, you can read a whole book!’, but then I end up reading a quarter or a third of it and then stop. I especially feel like reading books if I see a movie, and people tell me the book is better. Although, I probably wouldn’t agree with them, because I love movies!

This is also why I have a hard time studying. I learn things quickly if I manage to read through it, but sometimes I just can’t get there, haha. What a problem to have.

Do you have the same problem? ๐Ÿ™‚

• Shannondoah

You have to read something that won’t lose your attention! Jodi Picoult’s books are very controversial, romantic, dramatic! They have a little bit of everything! I’d recommend The Pact, Salem Falls, My Sisters Keeper, or Picture Perfect! Any of her books really! They are quite large, for some it could be a challenge but once you get into it, look out.

August 7, 2015 at 7:19 am Reply

Trust me, I’ve tried! It doesn’t matter how exciting or dramatic a book is. My mind just can’t focus on a book for more that 5 minutes. ๐Ÿ™‚ have tried reading Jodi Picoult, no luck!

August 7, 2015 at 7:22 am Reply
      • Shannondoah

Maybe try something like Mindy Kaling’s ‘Is everyone hanging out with me and other concerns’, very funny, short, and full of random formats. Very blog like!

August 7, 2015 at 7:25 am Reply

Not a huge fan of Mindy, but thanks for the tip! ๐Ÿ™‚

August 7, 2015 at 10:13 am Reply
  • John

Yes indeed I have the same problem! My mind just can’t stay focused on 99% of reading material. The only thing that keeps my attention are internet articles on Earth Geology, Plate Tectonics and Glaciation. Oh, and coding websites… Fascinating for hours! Long blog articles, no way…

August 7, 2015 at 8:04 am Reply
    • findingapenname

Maybe buy some books about earth geology and get the feel for book reading?
      I can 100% see where you are coming from. I have a very short attention span but at the same time love books! It’s tricky ๐Ÿ™‚

August 7, 2015 at 8:46 am Reply

Haha, those subjects you mentioned sound like something I wouldn’t even begin to read! ๐Ÿ˜€

August 7, 2015 at 10:14 am Reply
  • StephJ

I am a huge book fan! But oddly enough I can really relate to this as more of a visual person. If I start three books I may finish one. But I love to have a collection to choose from and I feel so satisfied when I do finish them. I think many of us are visual and in this day and age with technology and the Internet we are able to quench our needs with stimulation previously found in a great book. Just a thought anyway.

August 7, 2015 at 9:31 am Reply

Yeah, I absolutely agree! I’ve always been more of a visual person. In school I learned things a lot easier if it was a book with lots of images, rather than just text. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 7, 2015 at 10:16 am Reply
  • theanonymoustalker

For some reason this just makes me want to write better, so that if one day you (or any other non-reader such as yourself) come across anything which I have written, there MIGHT be a small possibility to change your mind about reading. ๐Ÿ˜€

August 9, 2015 at 1:13 am Reply

Fair enough! For me to read it, it would need images, haha!

August 9, 2015 at 10:37 am Reply
  • amandaleex3

I’m quite similar in that it’s very hard for me to find a book that holds my attention, iv read 2 books this year and that’s an achievement- I don’t think I read any last year! The key for me is finding a great story that makes you want to see what happens, even then my mind wanders but I always want to come back to read the rest, on the rare occasion that I find a book to hold my attention.

August 23, 2015 at 12:06 pm Reply

What were the books you read this year, if you don’t mind me asking? ๐Ÿ™‚

August 23, 2015 at 1:34 pm Reply
      • amandaleex3

Delayed reply, been on the go the past few days! Now I’m biased but I read this book for a friend as she wrote it, she’s just starting out http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Side-Us-Contemporary-ebook/dp/B00T7SJJ2G. Its light reading, bit of fantasy(2 hot men after you when you’re single? that never happens lol), a good holiday read I genuinely wanted to see what would happen! And another friend of mine gave me a gift of a book called “Girls will be girls” by Emer O’Toole, it’s talking about gender roles instilled in us from very young and the effects it has on us, it is a feminist read. I’d recommend it as I learned so much from it! But I did feel sad reading some of it as parts of it highlights our disadvantage being women. The author is very funny its written withh humour but very clever. I think that will be the only 2 books I get through this year, maybe I can get a record high of three! haha

August 25, 2015 at 10:57 pm Reply

Sounds cool, thanks for the explanation! ๐Ÿ™‚ if a friend of mine wrote a book i would probably also try to read it! ๐Ÿ™‚

August 26, 2015 at 6:33 am Reply