When Apple Music was released, Jeremy was super excited. I guess mainly because he doesn’t use Spotify much at all, and when he does, he uses the free version (ugh.. ads). He’s also a hardcore Apple fan.
Although I’m also an Apple fan, I wasn’t very excited to be honest. I quite like Spotify, and don’t really feel like re-building my playlists somewhere else. Competition is good though, don’t get me wrong. I think there should be more options out there, but for some reason it seems like Apple is wanting to make it their thing and sort of remove Spotify from the game. Fair enough, I suppose that should be a goal when you’re challenging another well-known and well-used company.
I thought I would make a list of why I prefer Spotify over Apple Music. Have a look and see if you agree with any of my points.
- I can use Spotify on my computer. Yes, I know that Apple will release this soon too, but for now it’s a real inconvenience to only be able to use it on your phone or tablet (can you even use it on tablets at the moment?)
- Spotify is easy to use. Apple has always been all about making things as easy and convenient as possible, but I’m sorry, Apple Music is a mess. It took me ages to figure out how to even build a playlist.
- Spotify recommends better music than Apple Music seems to do. Even though I haven’t told them what artists I love (like you can on Apple Music).
- If Spotify recommends a song I don’t like, I can remove it from the playlist. When I’ve tried to do this on Apple Music, it stays there and they just ‘record’ that I don’t like it. If I don’t like it, why should it be there to annoy me?
- The playlists are better on Spotify. The playlists on Spotify usually have heaps of songs in them, while the playlists on Apple Music often only have a few.
- You can share music within the application on Spotify. Sharing music with other Apple Music listeners don’t seem to be a thing, while on Spotify you’re able to send a song to a specific person within Spotify rather than having to share it on Facebook or similar.
There is no doubt in my mind that Apple will continue to improve Apple Music. They will likely have new cool updates every time they have a keynote speech. Although I’m not a fan of it at the moment, I’m curious to see what they come up with.
Have you tried Apple Music? If so, are you a fan of it. I would really like to know what it is that people like about it. Or are you a Spotify fan like me? Let me know in the comments section!