For those of my readers that aren’t from New Zealand, you may not have a clue what ‘Burger Wellington’ is, so I’ll explain briefly.
Each year, there is an event called ‘Wellington on a Plate‘ here in Wellington, which goes for roughly two weeks. Different restaurants put on special menus during this time, things that they wouldn’t normally have on their menu. One of the parts of the event is called ‘Burger Wellington‘. The restaurants that choose to can serve a burger that visitors then get to vote for. At the end of the event, one burger is announced as the winner.
Jeremy and I went to try our first burger yesterday at a restaurant/café called Beach Babylon. This is the description of the burger:
ORIENTAL BAO BURGER
Year of the Pig and Duck: Braised Longbush Pork belly with BBQ duck, Asian slaw, plum and hoisin sauce in a steamed bun, with sesame-salted Asian street fries and Sriracha mayonnaise.
Both Jeremy and I thought that sounded pretty darn good, so we headed over. I will rate the burger separately to the restaurant itself.
Let’s start with the burger.
The flavours were definitely there, however I was not too impressed with the execution for these particular reasons:
- The pork belly was incredibly fatty
- Jeremy found a rather large bone in his duck
- There was paper stuck to the underside of the bun
- The bun was extremely tough and hard to chew
- I could not detect any hint of sesame-salt on the fries
As I said, the flavours were there, so this could have been a really great burger if they had executed it a bit better. The sriracha mayo was delicious. And although it has nothing to do with the burger, their iced chocolate was delicious too!
Now I have to talk a bit about the service.
I was very underwhelmed with the service for these reasons:
- Our table was cleared, but not wiped down at all.
- When I ordered my meal, I asked for the iced chocolate to come out with the meal as I don’t want to drink it before I eat. I was told that wasn’t really possible because of how busy they were, so I decided to order it later.
- After we had waited for about 20 minutes I decided to go order the iced chocolate seeing as the burgers surely would arrive soon. When I ordered it, I had to explain in detail where I was sitting and he still had a hard time understanding where I meant (recommendation: use table numbers!)
- The burgers took just under 40 minutes to arrive.
- We had to ask for cutlery to be brought to the table.
- The staff were swapping positions at the till mid-customer. I would expect them to at least finish off the person they’re serving.
- One of the staff was cursing at how busy it was for everyone to hear.
I’m being picky here, because it’s a review and I feel people should know about these things before they go there. In saying that though, it is a really popular place, and I’m sure their food is normally great, and the service might be better when they’re a bit slower! Perhaps try to go there at a time when it’s not so busy.
I won’t be taking the service into consideration when rating the burger, because that’s not really fair. My final rating for this burger is: