Why is being healthy so inconvenient?

August 24, 2015
Photo from http://www.popsugar.com.au

Photo from http://www.popsugar.com.au

Every now and again, I wake up feeling really inspired and want to make healthy choices. This morning I woke up and I felt like I wanted to start going to the gym again. The thought of getting fit always makes me really excited!

The problem is that it’s so extremely inconvenient for the following reasons:

• I don’t believe there is a gym in Karori, where I live. If there is one, I’m fairly sure it would be quite expensive. (If anyone from Wellington reads this and knows of one, please let me know!)
  • Working out during lunch is not really an option for me. Mainly because I’m one of those people who never feels comfortable without make-up on in public. So, it would take me way too long to work out, shower and put my make-up on again. Plus, I work in customer service, which means I need to be back at my desk exactly when my break is over. There is no room to extend it.
  • I can’t drive in to the city in the morning, because Jeremy and I carpool. Either he’d have to take the bus (which I know he’s absolutely hate), or I would have to take the bus, which would then take at least 20 minutes to half an hour to get to town in the first place. So most of the morning would be gone by the time I even get to the gym, and then I start work at 8.30.
  • I can’t really work out after work either, for the same reason. Jeremy and I drive home together. I suppose I could take the bus home, but it just feels like a waste of money, and I’d get home so late that I’d feel I’ve lost most of the day.
  • I don’t have enough motivation to work out at home. I’ve tried so many times, but I just can’t seem to make myself do it. If I’m at the gym, I work out because people around me motivate me, and I might as well work out when I’m there, right? But at home, there are just so many distractions and I give up after trying for a week or so.
  • I can’t really run. I’ve got problems with my knees, which means that every time I try to run, my knees click, and sometimes fluid starts to leak out and my knees swell up. Gross, I know.

I often go on to websites like Popsugar and get really motivated by their articles. But then I get stuck thinking ‘how would I actually do that?’ If anyone has got any tips for me, that would be much appreciated!

Are you in the same boat, or have you found a way to make it work? 🙂

• Marsman

I completely understand. I walk about 10 miles a day (at work). Its enough excercize for my week of activity. Add up 10 miles a day for five days, you have a full workout. Nice reasons.

August 24, 2015 at 3:14 pm Reply

If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do for work? 🙂

August 24, 2015 at 3:53 pm Reply
      • Marsman

I’m a valet supervisor at a car dealership. Lots of walking involved

August 24, 2015 at 11:12 pm Reply

I bet! I used to work in a cafe where I basically stood up and walked all day! It was quite tiring!

August 25, 2015 at 6:26 am Reply
  • Thistles and Kiwis

There is a swimming pool in Karori, but no idea how busy it is or what it is like. Is there a gym near where you work? BTW, I have exactly the same problem these days, combined with a dodgy shoulder. I’m thinking of just trying to walk more, which is easy enough in Welly if I can just get motivated!

August 24, 2015 at 5:18 pm Reply

Yeah, I don’t like swimming at all, so the swimming pool isn’t much use to me unfortunately. There is a Jetts close to where I work, so I might join that and see how I go with finding time to go. As much as I like walking, I hate wind because I’m a naturally cold person, and we all know you can’t get away from the wind in Wellington! Haha.

August 24, 2015 at 5:23 pm Reply
      • Thistles and Kiwis

Oh yes the wind! It is so nice to get a lift to work when the weather is bad 🙂

August 24, 2015 at 7:08 pm Reply

Haha, I’m lucky enough to drive to work every day, so I don’t have to deal with it. 🙂

August 24, 2015 at 8:35 pm Reply
  • princessprattles

Walking seems to be the best alternative for you. Although I live in Melbourne, I have been to Windy Wellington, and I also feel the cold, so I understand. However, there are always plenty of reasons why we can’t do something. How about getting a decent windbreaker, and braving the Wellington wind? A good brisk walk will help you warm up as well as increase your fitness, without high impact on your knees. Go for it!

August 24, 2015 at 7:02 pm Reply

Yeah you’re right, I should just get some better clothes! 🙂 But at the same time I feel that walking doesn’t really do much for me! 🙂 I would love to be able to run. Maybe if I start slow I might be able to work through whatever knee issue I’ve got at the moment.

August 24, 2015 at 8:33 pm Reply
      • zomermaantje

Maybe you could start with one of those apps that slowly build up to a certain speed anf distance? My housemate used to train with a Zombie themed app.

I don’t know if there is something like a shoe clinic near you where you can have a foot scan so that they can help you choose the running shoe that is best for you, which helps relieve issues with bad knees, hips and ankles too…

August 24, 2015 at 9:24 pm Reply

I think we do have one of those shoe clinics actually! Might have to have a think about that. 🙂

August 24, 2015 at 9:46 pm Reply
  • StephJ

I agree with so many of your points! Personally I like doing things that happen to be healthy for you, like hiking & swimming. Two birds with one stone type of things! But even doing those things can be inconvenient… motivation is something I most certainly lack when it comes to scheduling time in my day solely for working out. I often will work out at home for a week or two then give up again for a few months, so I think I am in the same boat as you in many ways. My only advice, find some hobbies that include more physical activities, it seems to be the only way I get in exercise.

August 26, 2015 at 7:12 am Reply

Yeah, I’ve been trying to think of hobbies that I could get into. I think that would be easier in summer, but in winter it seems like all my motivation just disappears! I used to like swimming when I was younger, but these days I don’t really like water, so I hardly ever go swimming, not even in the ocean!

August 26, 2015 at 8:57 am Reply
  • sabrinafp

Running is great but I think the key to exercise is to find something that you love doing. So just try a lot of different things until you find something you enjoy. I’d recommend yoga which I love 🙂 and dogs. I always have to walk my 2 dogs, so I do a bit of walking, running on the beach with them. And on the weekends we usually go for longer walks in tracks around Auckland.

August 26, 2015 at 5:04 pm Reply

If love to get a dog but unfortunately I’m moving overseas sometime in the future so it wouldn’t really work. I tried Pilates once and didn’t like it, but I might try yoga sometime!

August 26, 2015 at 7:17 pm Reply
      • sabrinafp

I feel you, I tried pilates when I was younger and found it super boring. Yoga varies a lot, it really depends on how much you like your instructor. And it’s great because you don’t need any fancy gear and you can do it at home at anytime and for as long you want 🙂

August 26, 2015 at 9:04 pm Reply

Yeah I’ll definitely consider it! Thanks for the advice!

August 26, 2015 at 9:05 pm Reply