Waking up early is actually pretty great!

August 26, 2015

I’ve never been a morning person. I usually snooze my alarm at least four times (which bugs the hell out of Jeremy, haha) and even after that it’s quite hard to get up. But a week or so ago, I decided to try to have breakfast at home before I head off to work. So to be able to do that, I have to wake up a fair bit earlier.

I set my alarm for 6.15am. That allows 15 minutes in bed going through my Facebook feed and checking and replying to comments on my blog. Then I get up, put my contacts in and head down to start cooking breakfast. I made my first poached egg the other day and it turned out pretty well for a beginner!

Breakfast

That is avocado, bacon and a poached egg on toast. As you can see, the toast is a bit burned, haha. But I like it a bit darker, so it didn’t bother me much. If you told me a few years ago that I would have that for breakfast, I would have laughed at you. Mainly because I’m not a huge fan of bacon (I know, very unusual), and I used to hate avocado. But somehow they’ve grown on me. I’ve always been a fan of eggs.

This morning I had something slightly different – a soft-boiled egg, peanut butter on toast and a plum. You have to mix it up every now and again to keep it interesting.

It’s funny, I used to eat breakfast at work around 9am, usually cereal or muesli, and I got hungry again at around 11am. Now when I eat breakfast at home at around 7.45am I don’t get hungry until it’s time for lunch, which is great! Less snacking is always a good thing. Perhaps it’s because of the kind of food I eat, or maybe it’s because I eat at the right time. Not sure, but I like it.

So I’m going to continue to wake up early. It feels like you get more out of your day as well, and I get more tired at night which allows me to fall asleep earlier. All good things!

Are you a morning person? Let me know in the comments section. 🙂

• John

Looks great, and burnt toast is delicious. Adds flavour!

August 26, 2015 at 9:10 am Reply
  • Marsman

I’m definately a morning person, always have been. I think its great getting up early, having a cup of coffee and facing the day a new. Great post!

August 26, 2015 at 10:19 am Reply

I’m finally starting to see what it’s all about! Haha. I do really enjoy falling back asleep in the mornings though. I believe I finally have the mind power to get out of that habit.

August 26, 2015 at 10:27 am Reply
  • LyndellClasson

Definitely a morning person. It’s the best time of the day. Plus we have a family of Blue Jays that wakes us up at about 6:00 every morning looking for their daily ration of peanuts. So we feed them, then us.

August 26, 2015 at 10:48 am Reply

That’s cute! I’m thinking I might make my wake-up time 6am as well. 6.15 is a bit of a strange time, haha.

August 26, 2015 at 10:49 am Reply
  • GeekKate

That breakfast sounds good! I may have to give it a try sometime! I’m not a morning person at all. In fact I used to stay up until at least 1 am fairly regularly. Then I met my husband who is a Marine, so he’s up at ridiculous hours – before the sun is even up! Almkst 3 years later and I’m still working on adapting to his schedule, but I’m still stuck in this weird in between stage where I get tired around 8 pm and don’t want to get up before 8 am! It’s not very helpful for late night socializing on the weekend 😛

<3 and harp strings,
    Kate

August 26, 2015 at 3:37 pm Reply

Haha that sounds tough. I used to be quite the night owl as well, but that sort of changed when I got the job I have now. I realised that working while tired was a nightmare!

August 26, 2015 at 7:13 pm Reply
      • GeekKate

I have transfer orientation at my new university starting tomorrow morning and classes start on Monday, yet this morning I still struggled with getting out of bed at 6. I’m in biiiiig trouble if I have to be getting up around 5 am like I think I will! 🙁

August 27, 2015 at 1:34 am Reply

Haha I think 5am would be a huge struggle for me too. 🙂

August 27, 2015 at 6:30 am Reply
  • Thistles and Kiwis

I’m a morning person too – and love your breakfast idea!

August 26, 2015 at 5:09 pm Reply
  • tweetprayloveme

Nice breakfast 😉 I’m not a morning person, but since marrying my husband I do not have a choice. He wakes up at 4:30 AM, so I wake up at the same time and prepare breakfast & coffee. Waking up early allows me to do a lot in the morning.

August 27, 2015 at 1:35 am Reply

Wow! 4.30! That’s just insane, haha! I definitely wouldn’t be able to handle that!

August 27, 2015 at 6:31 am Reply
  • paradoxicalsprite

Though I’m definitely not a morning person by any means, I do admit to always feeling more refreshed and productive on those once-in-a-blue-moon days when I do manage to drag myself out of bed. I think it’s the rareness of the days that makes it so special 😉

August 27, 2015 at 2:33 am Reply

Yeah I’m hoping to do it the other way around and make sleeping in the rare thing. 🙂 we’ll see how long this waking up early thing will last for, haha.

August 27, 2015 at 6:33 am Reply
  • lilee

that looks delicious! fair play! I’m really not a morning person but this year i did start getting up 15 minutes earlier than before to chop and eat a bowl of fruits and yoghurt for breakfast (as it was the healthiest and quickest to prepare option) and still do it, Iv never gotten fed up of all the fruit and its a much better start to the day than dragging myself up late and rushing around running to the train then realising id forgotten something. Breakfast for me is very important for a good start to the day. Not quite as ambitious as you but baby steps! maybe someday i’ll cook what you made lol

August 27, 2015 at 3:30 am Reply

If I liked fruit I’d probably eat what you eat too, but I’m not a huge fan unfortunately! I’m more of a vegetable person, but I don’t know if I could eat vegetables for breakfast either! Haha. But I agree that it’s much better to be able to take your time in the morning, rather than stressing!

August 27, 2015 at 6:36 am Reply
  • ingorla

That looks great! I actually just got a rye bread out from freezer so I can make something similar tomorrow or tonight (I just got avocados, yay!) I am a morning person myself (Ahem, I go to the gym at 6am before work), but enjoy getting some days now and then where I can have a lie in.
    By the way avocado really helps you to feel full for longer (I’ve noticed too haha). It’s a great source for good fats and stops craving, especially for me too.
    Ingvild x

August 27, 2015 at 3:34 am Reply

Oh perhaps it is the avocado that makes me feel fuller, good point! 🙂 I miss rye bread! Used to eat it all the time back in Sweden!

August 27, 2015 at 6:37 am Reply
  • Sheridan Johnson

It looks delicious!! I am definitely as plain jane as it come with breakfast, so this definitely gives me some inspiration to think outside of the box!

August 27, 2015 at 5:03 pm Reply