Instagram Slider

  • Our two days at Creamfields were a lot of funhellip
  • Jeremy and I went for a walk around Manchester tohellip
  • First time in Manchester! Jeremy and I travelled there tohellip
  • Cops riding around on horses Seems a lot more funhellip
  • The other day Jeremy got a notification on Facebook thathellip
  • What is the most impressive churchcathedral youve been to? Thishellip
  • Have you ever been to Uppsala? If so let mehellip
  • This might look like a regular hill but its nothellip

Wanaka – Day 1 (Part 1)

October 9, 2015

The day has finally come. Jeremy and I have headed off on our holiday to Queenstown and Wanaka. We woke up at 4am this morning to be able to get to the airport in time to have breakfast in the Koru lounge. Unfortunately we left a bit late, so only had about 10 minutes in the lounge before we had to board our flight. Talk about stuffing our face with food in record time, haha.

The flight down here was lovely. Not bumpy at all, and the views were great. We were lucky enough to book seats behind the wing so that we could take nice photos on the way. The further south we got, the more snow-covered mountains we saw.

When we arrived in Queenstown, it was pretty cold actually. I was a bit concerned that it was going to stay cold, but it turns out it was just because it was 8.30 in the morning. We went to pick up the rental car and off we went.

This is the first time I’ve actually driven a rental car, because I only just got my full licence a couple of months ago. Not only that, it is my first time driving an automatic. I’ve already hit the brakes a few times thinking it’s the clutch, and Jeremy said it’s a good thing he wears a seatbelt or he’d be flying out the window, haha. I think that’s a bit of an exaggeration.

The drive to Wanaka wasn’t long at all; it only takes about 45 minutes to get here from Queenstown. We passed Cardrona Hotel on the way. I’ve heard a lot about that place, but I all I got to experience was a toilet visit!


When we got to Wanaka, we took some photos by the lake and then walked around to find a place to eat lunch. It didn’t take us long to settle on a place. We went to Kai Whaka Pai. I had an Asian soup that tasted a bit like a laksa, and Jeremy went with a beef burger. I can’t speak for him, but my food was delicious.

After lunch, we drove off to Cromwell to visit a Swedish café called ‘Fika’. I originally thought it was in Wanaka, but it turns out they had moved, so we had to spend another 40 or so minutes driving out there. But that was fine, because it was a really nice drive.

The lady who owns the café was super-nice. She gave us two coffee tumblers for free because we had taken the time to drive there all the way from Wanaka! So nice of her! She mentioned that they are hoping to franchise their business and open up a shop in Auckland and Wellington. That would be great, so I hope she’ll be able to pull it off.

After we were finished there, both Jeremy and I were so full! The cinnamon buns we bought were huge and I couldn’t even finish mine. From there we drove back to Wanaka and checked in at our hotel – The Moorings. The owners of The Moorings seem really nice too. It’s like people in Otago are just the loveliest people in New Zealand.

The room isn’t fancy or anything, quite standard. But it’s got an amazing view of the mountains and the lake. No snow on the mountains across the lake, but that was expected seeing as it’s spring. Jeremy and I took a nap for about 40 minutes and after that we sat on the balcony for about half an hour, just soaking in the sun. So relaxing.

We’re about to get ready for dinner (although when you read this we’ve already been seeing as I’m not posting this until later). I’ll continue with another post covering the rest of the day a bit later too!


Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

1 Comment

  • Eva

    Yayyy!!! Fika!!! 😀 😀

    October 10, 2015 at 8:38 am Reply
  • Comment on this post

    %d bloggers like this: