Breaking habits is too easy

November 12, 2015
habits

They say it takes 21 days to form a habit. I definitely believe that’s true. I try to start so many things, but always stop after a while because I don’t try long enough. This is what’s happened to me with the gym over and over again. I’ve been a member at a couple of gyms, but for some reason I always seem to stop going after a while.

This time around I’ve done really well. I started going to the gym a couple of months back and I stuck to it. I went three days a week – Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. And it was really working out. I lost a whole bunch of body fat, but maintained my weight, which is exactly what I wanted. Everything was going really well.

Then I went on holiday. I kid you not, I undid all the hard work that I had done for a few months in less than a week’s time. We ate so much food and had dessert with pretty much every meal. Don’t get me wrong, I really enjoyed it, but afterwards I realised how quickly you can break a habit.

Since we got back from our holiday, I have been going to the gym, but I’ve been going twice a week rather than three times, and I just feel exhausted when I’m there. Just like I did before I started in the first place. But I’m determined to continue on and get back to where I was before the holiday.

I can do it.

I can totally do it.

What habits do you keep breaking?

• teiyaoloilolesoipei

I guess we always break habits because when starting out the moment you get some success in keeping up with the habit you become complacent and stoop what you were doing…

November 12, 2015 at 7:37 am Reply

Yeah, that’s probably the case in most situations. But with the gym, I was doing so well and enjoying it, but then I went on holiday and just didn’t get back into it properly when I came back. So frustrating!

November 12, 2015 at 12:41 pm Reply
  • dray0308

Reblogged this on Dream Big, Dream Often and commented:
    Developing good habits takes dedication and a resolute mind!

November 12, 2015 at 7:49 am Reply
  • QueSarahSarah

Going to the gym is a big one, as well as no nail biting. I always seem to slip up on both D: Oh well, we can always start over!

November 12, 2015 at 8:09 am Reply

Oh I hear you about the nail biting! I was biting my nails for so long and tried to stop over and over. I even tried the disgusting stuff you put on your nails that tasted so bad, but I just go used to the taste! Haha. Then, I got my wisdom teeth which has meant that I can’t really bite down fully on my front teeth any more, so I had to stop! Haha. Wisdom teeth are both a blessing and a curse!

November 12, 2015 at 12:43 pm Reply
      • QueSarahSarah

Wow! I’m impressed yours came in lol I’ve never met anyone with wisdom teeth. :p and yup- nervous tick! I need to find something to replace the habit.

November 12, 2015 at 1:43 pm Reply

Yeah, I was unlucky enough to get all four wisdom teeth! I only know a few people who never got them 🙂

November 12, 2015 at 2:19 pm Reply
  • paradoxicalsprite

Waking up early is one of the toughest habits to cultivate. I’ve tried a number of ways to wake up early and just when I think I’ve got it, I fall off the wagon. Still, there’s always tomorrow 😛

November 12, 2015 at 9:00 am Reply

I totally get this. I have recently started to wake up earlier in the mornings so that I can have breakfast before I head off to work, but I still snooze my alarm enough so that I have to stress eat my breakfast. If only I could get up the first time the alarm goes off!

November 12, 2015 at 12:44 pm Reply
  • Siim Land

The key is to not only build up the habit of going to the gym but also become instrinsically motivated to do so. Instead of taking it as a chore learn to enjoy it. If being in a fitness gym doesn’t seem very appealing do and do something else that makes you move your body. At the end of the day it’s all about movement.

November 12, 2015 at 9:46 am Reply

Absolutely agree. I was totally enjoying the gym before I went on my holiday. Probably because I was seeing results. But for some reason after I got back, I don’t seem to enjoy it as much any more. I think it may be because I have realised I have to start all over. I’m going to continue though, and hopefully I’ll get back into my old patterns and start enjoying it again.

November 12, 2015 at 12:52 pm Reply
  • sonofabeach96

I’m surprised, but two previous comments are the very things I try change. I’m a night owl by nature, so rising early is extremely hard for me. And consistently doing the gym is another, very difficult with work and 3 boys to raise.

November 12, 2015 at 11:44 am Reply

Yeah, I’m definitely a night owl as well. I actually think I have a harder time going to bed at night than waking up in the morning. I always tell myself I need to go to bed before 11pm, but find myself still awake around midnight most of the time. I can completely understand if you’re struggling with the gym if you’ve got three kids! Good on you for even trying, haha!

November 12, 2015 at 12:54 pm Reply
  • Little Misadventures

Working out is the biggest struggle for me! I love going for walks/runs, but I can’t get myself to do strength exercises >.< I agree with Sarah – not biting my nails is so hard! I do it when I get really nervous/stressed. I'm determined to get muscled though.

We got this! Two days is better than no days! Go easy on yourself and it'll get easier each time 🙂

November 12, 2015 at 11:48 am Reply

Haha, I’m pretty much the opposite, I don’t like running, but I quite enjoy doing strength exercises. In saying that, I’m only doing cardio at the gym at the moment, because I want to get better endurance, but I’ll start doing the weights again soon. I’m so weak though, it’s pathetic, haha! Thanks for the encouragement!

November 12, 2015 at 12:56 pm Reply
  • Marsman

What habit do I keep breaking? Collecting too many comics. In a nut shell, that’s it.

November 12, 2015 at 12:02 pm Reply

Haha, so you’re breaking the habit of not buying them then? 🙂

November 12, 2015 at 12:56 pm Reply
      • Marsman

No trying to break the Habit of Buying them. I’m needing to stop. Lol

November 12, 2015 at 1:00 pm Reply

Oh, so you’re trying to break it! Haha I get it. 🙂

November 12, 2015 at 2:18 pm Reply
  • deborahcrocker

With Gods help, I broke the habit of overeating. Now I only eat three meals a day with half portions of whatever I want including dessert. (Eat only half portion or less.)
    Now I weigh 92 pounds less. Isn’t that exciting.

November 12, 2015 at 4:47 pm Reply
  • zomermaantje

Funny how it’ so easy to break good habits while it’s so hard to break the bad ones

November 13, 2015 at 11:02 am Reply
  • jacquelineobyikocha

Vacations always does that to me. Now I try to get a place where I can take good long walks or hotel with a gym.

November 13, 2015 at 7:36 pm Reply

Yeah I’ve been trying to look out for hotels with gyms when I travel. But at the same time, I don’t want to spend time exercising when I’m on holiday!

November 13, 2015 at 10:16 pm Reply