I haven’t always been a very positive person. In fact, I’ve struggled quite a bit with it. I often find myself worrying about what could go wrong, rather than focusing on what could go right. I also struggle quite a bit with confidence. I look at other people and always think that everyone’s so much better than me in so many ways.
But it’s time for that to stop. I decided quite a while ago that I needed to change the way I think. I need to focus on the good stuff and I need to believe in myself more. I need to remember all the amazing things I’ve done in my life, and all the things that are still to come. And not just me – we all do!
I used to have quite serious mood swings. The tiniest things people said to me that annoyed me would pretty much ruin my whole day. The brain is really powerful that way. If I don’t fight the negative thinking, it can sometimes overwhelm me and it takes a lot of effort to try to be happy again.
A while back, I set myself a goal to not have an argument in a whole month. It surprised me that I actually succeeded. Every time I felt annoyed by something someone said, I would stop myself, take a deep breath and think ‘does it really matter’? 90% of the time I realised I was the one who was being silly and overreacting. And the other 10% of the time I decided that it wasn’t worth my time getting worked up about it.
I’m trying my hardest to stay on this path because it really has made me a lot happier. And I think happiness rubs off on people just as well as anger and frustration does. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather spread happiness.
Are you a positive person, or do you struggle with negative thinking?