Why can’t I breathe?

December 10, 2015

Well, that’s a bit dramatic. I can definitely breathe. Let me explain. Lately when I’ve been to the gym, I’ve done my usual cardio work-out, but something’s changed. These days I really struggle to breathe after only running for 10 or so minutes. I try my best to take a deep breath but it’s just like my lungs are tightened up or something.

Jeremy suggested I might have asthma, but I’ve been to the doctor several times and have been told that is not the case. So what is it then? It’s starting to become quite frustrating, because I really want to continue my cardio routine, but when this happens I almost start panicking a bit, thinking I’ll pass out if I don’t get enough air. It takes me a while to recover from it too, maybe 5 minutes or so.

A month or so ago, I had trouble breathing even though I hadn’t done anything at all, I was just sitting in the car. Is this just my brain messing with me? From experience I know that the brain is very powerful and can actually cause all kinds of issues if you let it. If you think that you’re sad, it will make you feel sad. If you think you’re feeling nauseous, it will make you want to throw up.

It can also do a lot of good if you let it. That’s why I’ve been focusing so much on positive thinking lately. When I feel nauseous, I simply think ‘No I’m not, stop it’ for some time, and a lot of the time this will help and I’ll start feeling better. Strange, I know!

So is this also my brain playing a prank on me. It probably is, I’m almost feeling a bit out of breath as I’m writing this. But what if it’s not? How do you explain it to the doctor when you can’t replicate it if asked to? Should I just jump on a treadmill at the doctor’s office and let them see for themselves? Who knows.

• Jessica

The mind is unpredictable and amazing in so many ways. Our thoughts control so much of us it is crazy! I go through similar things like this as well

December 10, 2015 at 2:03 pm Reply

It’s a bit creepy how much control the brain has really! 🙂

December 10, 2015 at 4:01 pm Reply
  • Thistles and Kiwis

If there is a good member of staff at the gym maybe you could ask them? Could be a nervous thing if you are feeling stressed?

December 10, 2015 at 3:51 pm Reply

I was debating whether it could be because of stress, but I’m not sure. I might just see how it goes. Maybe I’m just incredibly out of shape!

December 10, 2015 at 4:02 pm Reply
  • London Bound Kiwi

Hi Sophie – If it happens when you are not active as well, could it be a bit of anxiety? – you have a lot of positive stuff happening but also a lot of change. I know when I am going through a lot of change, I want to throw up – before I could breathe through it, the panic the moment I felt the feeling coming on physically made me sick. The brain is powerful, hope the feelings pass for you
    soon!

December 11, 2015 at 11:12 am Reply

Hey, perhaps it could be a bit of anxiety, I’m not too sure. I’m naturally a very anxious person so it wouldn’t surprise me at all!

December 11, 2015 at 11:33 am Reply
      • London Bound Kiwi

It’s hard to know at time, but if it is anxiety related, there are tricks to decrease the symptoms. I got taught a simple technique when the nausea happens which reduces the intensity. The next time it happens, sit down, place two fingers on your pulse (wrist) and focus on breathing. It sounds weird, but you can do this discreetly. When you breathe, you will notice your pulse rate slowing down. Your mind is reassured by been able to observe the improvement and the feelings go away easier. With practice, each time it happens, it goes away very quickly. I know it sounds stupid, but do try it. If it is anxiety related, it may help (the difference for me was going from throwing up daily to being able to stop the feeling within seconds of it hitting). There you go, your random thought from a complete stranger for today!

December 11, 2015 at 11:50 am Reply

Thanks for the tips. I haven’t heard that one before but it might be worth a go! In the past I’ve calmed my anxiety with deep breaths and positive thinking, so adding the pulse thing to it shouldn’t be much of a stretch! Haha.

December 11, 2015 at 1:57 pm Reply