Moving overseas is stressful!

January 14, 2016

We’ve hardly started actioning our plans for moving to Sweden, but I’m already stressed out. There are so many things to think about and sometimes I don’t even know where to start.

The first logical step is for Jeremy to apply for his Swedish residency. We need to get that going as soon as we can because it turns out the waiting time might be longer than we first thought. I was in touch with the Swedish consulate in Wellington last year and she assured me that the waiting times are actually not as long as people say. But I have a feeling that might have changed now due to the immigration crisis over there.

Sweden

We recently checked up on what documents Jeremy need to provide with the application and we realised that his passport had to be renewed before we can even start the application process! Typical. Luckily, New Zealand is really onto it and he’s already got his new passport! The turnaround time was less than a week. Now that’s impressive!

I tried to get in touch with the Swedish consulate again, but it’s almost impossible to get a hold of them it seems. They have ridiculous opening hours. 10am to 12pm, Monday, Tuesday and Friday. Six hours a week? Where do I sign up to those kind of working hours, haha! I suppose they probably do a lot of work outside of those hours too though, you just can’t get a hold of them during that time.

Jeremy managed to get a hold of them though, which was great. So now we know what we need to do and we just need to get everything going.

There are so many things spinning in my head and the moment, and I’m trying my very hardest to focus on one thing at a time, but it’s just so darn difficult. If I was a more organised person I would write down all the things and sort them in order of urgency. That’s not me though, I don’t do that kind of thing when it comes to my personal life. I should start doing that…

• Moritz

Moving overseas definitely is everything but easy, but I’m sure you’ll get it sorted out. As soon as you are there, you’ll love it! 🙂

January 14, 2016 at 11:02 am Reply

Yeah, I know I’ll love it when I’m there seeing as it’s my home country, but there is just so much to think about, haha.

January 14, 2016 at 2:35 pm Reply
  • Thistles and Kiwis

When we moved to New Zealand, I actually made up a spreadsheet of what to do and when. The three of us had different passports from three countries and needed different police reports etc. A lot of co-ordination! It is really worth making a check list just to make sure you don’t miss anything. Good luck with your move!! Wish you all the best.

January 14, 2016 at 11:28 am Reply

Yeah I really need to get more organised and make one of those lists for sure. I think I’ll do that as soon as we get Jeremy’s residency application all sorted out and can focus on other things. Thanks for the tip! 🙂

January 14, 2016 at 2:36 pm Reply
  • Gordon C. Stewart

I “get” the no list thing. My wife, Kay, is a champion at organizing our lives from listing priority “to-do” lists to keeping track of expenses to sorting the papers and books strewn around my home office. I’ve learned that focusing on one thing at a time is how I am at my best. Sounds as though I have good company. When under stress, according to Carl Jung, we tend to go to what he calls “the Shadow” – the least developed part of our psyche – instead of staying with our strengths. I wish you well in your move to Sweden. Be gentle with yourself along the way.

January 14, 2016 at 12:56 pm Reply

I’m glad to hear I’m not alone! I’m also lucky enough to have a fiancée who is amazing at these sort of things. If it wasn’t for him, I’m sure my planning would be all over the place. 🙂

January 14, 2016 at 2:37 pm Reply
  • Senatus Populusque Romanus

I completely understand the list thing. I like being Organised and I do push myself to create lists which actually helps, but getting yourself to prepare those lists is another task altogether! All the passports and visa arrangements must be really stressful! Moving is a big deal, but I’m sure you will find the trouble worth it in the end! Good luck!

January 14, 2016 at 6:33 pm Reply

Yeah I think the visa application is stressing me out the most because it’s such an important part. If he doesn’t get it, he can’t live in Sweden. That would really break my heart.

January 14, 2016 at 7:30 pm Reply
  • Senatus Populusque Romanus

I just realized that I’ve used exclamation marks in nearly all my sentences. I sound like a hippie. Pardon me!! :))

January 14, 2016 at 6:35 pm Reply

Haha nothing wrong with exclamation marks! You just come across very excited about what you’re writing. Haha.

January 14, 2016 at 7:28 pm Reply
  • fandancer2013

Hi. What a lovely blog, it looks great and the photos are lovely. I look forward to following your adventures.

January 14, 2016 at 9:29 pm Reply
  • Dream4Fun

Hi. It’s not so bad. I moved to Singapore 20 years ago. Still here, for my sins.

January 15, 2016 at 1:34 am Reply

Good to hear your move was easy 🙂

January 15, 2016 at 6:56 am Reply
      • Dream4Fun

I said it wasn’t so bad. The worst part is what you leave behind.

January 15, 2016 at 11:45 am Reply

Yeah, it’s always sad to leave things behind, but seeing as I’m moving back to my home country, I’m still really happy about it 🙂

January 15, 2016 at 12:53 pm Reply
      • Dream4Fun

Home is just the place where they don’t throw you out. Take care.

January 15, 2016 at 1:15 pm Reply