Every now and again, Jeremy goes away over the weekend to go visit his parents. Most of the time I go with him, but some weekends I feel like I might need some alone-time instead. This weekend was one of those weekends. It’s funny how I do things so differently when I’m by myself. I’ve never lived by myself, so in a way, being alone feels super strange to me.
Today I thought about a few of the things I do when I’m home alone, and I thought I’d share them with you.
- I talk to myself. If someone overheard me, they would likely think I’m insane. I’ll just talk through what I’m doing, while cooking, putting my make-up on, cleaning – you name it. I remember reading a tweet at some point where someone said ‘That moment you pretend you’ve got your own cooking show and even talk to the camera’. I might not agree with the camera part, but yes, I’ve done this. I’m the same with putting my makeup on. I’ll sometimes pretend it’s a tutorial and I talk through every step, even though I have no clue what I’m doing.
- I sing a lot. I’m not a great singer so I don’t want to bother Jeremy with my singing. Although, in saying that, I always sing in the car. That’s something I just can’t stop doing. I bet some people would hate being in a car with me. Jeremy just has to deal with it, haha. But when I’m home alone, I’ll sing constantly. Sometimes I might chuck in a bit of dance as well.
- I eat terrible foods. I absolutely hate cooking for myself. It’s so boring! So when I’m home alone I’m very likely to eat things like 2-minute noodles, or take-out. This weekend I’ve tried to be good and have sort of succeeded. I did have 2-minute noodles once, but I also made myself a salad, and made some tomato soup too. Jeremy’s coming back this evening, and it’s likely we’ll have take-out for dinner, so I won’t have to crave it for too long!
- I watch chick-flicks or girly TV-shows. Whenever Jeremy and I watch movies together, it’s usually action, sci-fi or something similar. And when we watch TV-shows, it’s usually the same. Shows like Arrow, The Flash, Game of Thrones and a few comedies like Big Bang Theory and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. But I love watching romantic movies and TV shows that Jeremy isn’t interested in at all. So when I’m alone I’ll usually binge-watch those.
- I go to bed really late. I normally go to bed quite late, but when I’m alone I’m much more likely to have one of those nights where I don’t go to bed until 3 in the morning. Usually I’ll be stuck watching YouTube clips, or my TV-shows. However, this weekend I wasn’t so bad. The latest I stayed up till was 1 am.
- I feel the need to clean something. For some reason I feel like I’ll be judged if I don’t clean when I’ve got so much time on my hands. So I will always do some laundry or clean one of the rooms so that I’ll feel better about myself. In reality, I don’t think Jeremy would judge me too much, unless I had made a mess and left it. We usually clean on the weekend, so I feel strange if I don’t.
- I look at old memories. When I’m by myself I’m much more likely to look at old pictures, watch old videos and listen to nostalgic music. Most of the time this will make me feel good, because I love nostalgia. But every now and again it will make me miss home (Sweden) a lot, and it will make me sad. If I get into that mind frame I usually snap out of it and start watching some TV instead. Or if my parents or brother are online I’ll try to talk to them a bit.
- I’ll act really weird. I know I’m not the only one who has a strange side that needs to come out every now and again. I’ll make silly facial expressions, do a stupid dance, or simply make noises. Jeremy knows about most of these, because they come out sometimes when we’re home together. We’ve been together for 8 years, so I guess it’s expected that we see those sides of each other by now.
- I stay inside. I don’t often go out and do things by myself. The only exception to this would be if I have a day off during the week and I’ve got the car. Then I might drive somewhere to do some shopping. But if I don’t have the car, I’m not likely to go catch the bus to somewhere. I’m pretty lazy, so most weekends I’m home alone I won’t leave the house.
- I worry about ghosts and other dangerous things. Yeah, that’s right – ghosts. I’m not really sure what I believe, but when I’m home by myself I will react to every little noise I hear and my mind will immediately think ‘ghost’ rather than ‘oh, that might we the wind’, or ‘I wonder what that was’. I freak out a little bit sometimes, so I’ll close all windows, make sure all doors are locked, and then I shut the door to my room and hang out there. Like that would stop ghosts if they existed.
So there you have it, those are some things I do when I’m home alone. Would be really interested in hearing if you share some of them with me, or if you do something else.